Monday, February 16, 2009

In Heaven at Nirvana

After a great Valentine's night dinner, I had to head over to the b-school for a team meeting early Sunday morning. I tackled our team Accounting assignment with a vengeance, and worked up an appetite in the process. During the meeting I was overcome by a craving for... Indian food! When I lived in Sydney we used to get the best Tandoori chicken wraps with tzaziki from street vendors, and I haven't really had it since I've been back. Anyway, when I get a craving like that Justin's usually happy to go along with it, so we decided to go one of New Orleans' only Indian restaurants, Nirvana on Magazine St. Lucky for us, they offer lunch every day, and a special lunch buffet on Thursdays and Sundays. For only $10, you get all you can eat of delicious Indian specialties.


Now normally, I'm pretty averse to buffet food, but Nirvana's good reputation in the city (and my now-starving status) made me trust it. We headed over to Magazine amid parades and marching bands, signaling the start of Mardi Gras. Before we could even sit down inside, our waiter had poured our waters and told us to help ourselves to the buffet in the back of the restaurant. This is what we ended up with:


Needless to say, we took full advantage of the "all you can eat" aspect. We both got two heaping plates of tandoori chicken drumsticks and thighs, chicken breast in a buttery tomato sauce over rice, vegetable fritters, and naan. Also
available were steamed vegetables, salad, vegetable soup, and something in a yogurt-based sauce. Clearly J and I avoided anything green... but it was so good that I don't feel guilty. The tandoori and the chicken in sauce over rice were the big hits.


We rolled our overstuffed selves home and prepared for Family Gras in Metairie, which Justin just posted about. I was ecstatic to see Better than Ezra for free, and especially happy to catch their last concert as a group before the drummer, Travis McNabb, departs to headline with Sugarland. Annnywho, we headed over to the concert very full and happy and ready to rock. We did a lot of rocking out, but no eating -- sorry y'all. I do have some great pics of the band though! Happy Monday. -KMK

0 comments:

Post a Comment