Monday, December 28, 2009

Eating In Places Other Than NOLA: Atlanta - Quick Service Food


Its good to be home.  But that doesn't mean I can't force one more Atlanta post on you.

We are only a few weeks away from the unveiling of the "Fattest States 2010" list.  Now both Louisiana and Georgia are bound to be on it but these states' fat strategies are very different.  What Louisianans manage to do with fried seafood in cream sauce, Georgians do with delicious, delicious quick service food.

Georgia must have the best quick service food in the country.  Just drive down any road in metro Atlanta and you'll find a Mecca of quick service food options.  Woven in among McDonald's and Burger King and Wendy's and Taco Bell you find Chick-fil-a, and Waffle House, and Nathans and Firehouse Subs and Bruster's and Steak 'n' Shake and tons and tons of other options.

Today we look at three.  One fast food, one independent quick service and one glorious super market.

Zaxby's




Above is Zaxby's chicken finger sandwich.  I hear a lot of people (one guy, once) talking about who reigns superior when it comes to Zaxby's and Cane's.  Both are chicken finger spots but really they are pretty different.  Zaxby's offers a lot more options than Cane's, with a bunch of different salads and sandwiches.  Zaxby's is also a little cheaper I think.  Cane's has better chicken though so i guess that's probably what actually matters.

Dacula Dogs



Even more impressive than the chains, metro Atlanta is laden with great independently run quick service places that, for the most part, reside in little strip malls.  I counted 4 independent pizza places in less than a mile just driving around.  Dacula Dogs is a hot dog place pretty close to my house.   I can only think of one good hot dog place in the city (Coney Island Dogs up on Airline), but when me and my dad wanted to grab one the day after Christmas we had something like 5 options.  This place was great.  Fresh Vienna hot dogs on warm poppy seed buns... great stuff.

Publix



When I was a little kid I remember people protesting outside of Publix all the time.  Now I don't know what they were protesting about but I like to think it was people from other places protesting how good Publix Subs are.  These are the best grocery store subs I have ever had and in my top 3 sandwiches anywhere.  And I have made it clear in the past I think, that I love sandwiches.  Publix subs are fresh and substantial, and come on bread that is soft and chewy and amazing.

So Louisianans... If you are interested in getting fat and you want to do it faster and cheaper than you can here... head on up to Atlanta.  Its delicious there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment