Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dinner at Vizard's on Mag

Vizard's might be a mob restaurant. It doesn't have a website.

Kerry and I seemed to be the only people in the place that weren't related to the owners, wait-staff, or kitchen staff. People were constantly disappearing behind the kitchen doors to kiss or schmooze with the chef. Either way they had some really good food. Really good.

Kerry had read about Vizard's on Blackenedout and it had gotten a great review so we figured it was worth a try. Here is a picture of Kerry I think she might end up taking down... (Yup. Taken down. kmk)

We took advantage of a Tuesday-Thursday tasting special they have that comes with 3 courses and 3 glasses of wine for $33. Not a bad deal. Actually it was a great deal. Our waiter mentioned that they just started it up this week, and the menu had been different every day so far.

I'll apologize now for the lack of photos in the post -- the possibility of being in a money laundering establishment made me hesitant to pull out my camera.

Along with the bread they brought us a shot glass of a really good butternut squash/potato bisque that I am still craving the next day.

First course was a crab cake. It I'm not really sure how to describe it other than to say it was a jumbo lump crab cake in yellow cream sauce that I cant quite describe now but probably could have at the time. It came with a glass of white wine, I think all the wines of the night were California wines.

Next came a shrimp course which I worked up the nerve to take a blurry picture of...



They were seasoned, grilled and served over a polenta (which is one of my favorite things to eat) then topped with a tomato and olive ragout and a little cheese. It was served with a red wine that we tried to describe for about 20 min unsuccessfully. It wasn't our favorite red wine.

Last was a seared duck breast with pepper jelly. I'm ashamed to say I haven't had much duck in my life but this was really good it was served with some greens that I cant remember the name of but I remember sounds like a cheese. (Swiss Chard. kmk) And it came with a red wine that I liked.

I guess that's it. A pretty good pre-Valentines Day dinner. I'll let you know how it stacks up to Dominique's, in the Maison Dupuy Hotel, which is our V-Day destination.

0 comments:

Post a Comment